With over 60 years of tradition and service, Jelacic Funeral Home is still owned and operated by the Jelacic family. Jelacic Funeral Home has served the Greater Milwaukee area with the utmost care and compassion. Our family approach is to make a personal commitment to helping the bereaved cope during this very difficult time in their lives. We attend to every detail and truly care for those we serve. We also understand how the affordability of our services set us apart from most funeral homes. We always consider it an honor to help a family by caring for their loved ones.
The Jelacic Family started operating a funeral home in 1946 when Valentine (Val) Jelacic founded Jelacic Funeral Home. Val was a recent mortuary school graduate and WWII Navy veteran who served in the South Pacific. The original funeral home was located at 1905 N. 12th Street in Milwaukee, WI. In 1954 Val moved his business to its current location at 5639 W. Hampton Avenue, building a new facility. In 1966, a renovation took place which doubled the size of the building. During this time, Val along with his wife Marie, raised eight children in an apartment above the funeral home. In 1976, Tom, their son, entered the business, becoming a licensed funeral director after completing his bachelor’s degree in the Mortuary Science program at the University of Minnesota. Val passed away in 1977 after a lengthy battle with cancer. In 1984, another son, Mark, became a licensed funeral director and began working at the funeral home.