site image


Gregory Bernard Williams

February 26, 1959 ~ March 26, 2018 (age 59)
Obituary Image

Gregory Bernard Williams

Found peace and entered into the kingdom of the Lord on March 28, 2018, at age 59 years. Greg was the beloved husband and best friend of Sherry (nee Upson) and the loving father of Shawn (Sarah) Williams and Michelle Williams. He was the cherished grandfather of Alexander, Isabella, Gabriel and Leslie, and the dear son of Bobbie Griffin. Greg was also the fond brother of Darryl, Cleo and David and best friends with Alan and Tony, in addition to being survived by a host of other relatives.

A Memorial Gathering will be held for Greg on Monday, April 2, 2018, from 9:00am until the time of the Memorial Service at 10:00am, all at Life Church - Germantown, W164 N11325 Squire Drive, Germantown, Wisconsin 53022.


Sherry Shares Her Love Story of Greg

I met Greg at Columbia Hospital in 1991 when I was a pharmacy technician and he was lieutenant of security. We would tell each about the less than perfect dates we had with others until one-day Greg said he would start saving his money to take me out. Greg and I dated and spent lots of time becoming friends until a short six in a half years later - he proposed. We married five weeks later on November 27, 1999. I had never seen myself married. After all I was 39, and yet I was drawn to wanting to spend the rest of my life with this strong quiet man.

On September 21, 2001 when everyone was reeling from the tragedy of 9/11 Greg was in a medically induced coma and on a ventilator. Doctors did not believe he would walk out of the hospital. But Greg did three and a half weeks later. See he had been diagnosed with diabetes in 1996 and by 2001 it was playing havoc with his health. At this time, we knew God had blessed him with the gift of life but we didn't truly know the magnitude of that gift. Felling better, he dived into working as an ATM tech - a job he loved. Life went on and so did the diabetes. It continued its quest and by 2009 Greg was on hemo dialysis because of acute renal failure. He has spent approximately 1,344 days adding up to about 6,720 hours being tethered to a machine.

Through all of this I saw Greg becoming closer and closer to our Lord and Savior. This was a man who would proclaim quietly the goodness of the Lord to nurses and CNA's when he was in the hospital more times than I can count. Greg would keep money in a gum container in his car so he would always be able to give to someone in need. In winter he would take one or two of his coats and keep them in his car until he saw someone cold and needing warmth. Greg brought us to Life church in 2012 because he knew I needed a closer relationship with Jesus. We were both baptized in the lake at Minooka Park on August 5th and became members of Life church on September 23rd. And then he had a heart attack in January of 2013. He did remarkably well recovering and continued working full time security at the airport and drove himself from work to dialysis 3 days a week. When that wasn't enough, he was diagnosed with Charco foot and he had to wear a boot all the time. It was so frustrating having to retire but he never gave up.

Last year he went into respiratory failure at dialysis on March 21st and ended up in ICU on a ventilator for eight days. Again his survival rate was low. After a few weeks he came home with a positive attitude each day. Whenever anyone would ask how he was doing he would respond "I am Blessed". During rehab he got a blister on his foot and the diabetes caused a horrible infection that led to amputation in June. He was very upset this time around but he would keep saying "I know God has a purpose for me". When he finally healed and was able to receive his first temporary prosthetic and walk on two legs I saw him collapse on the walking bars sobbing because he was so overjoyed. After his weekly PT session Greg would wheel himself over to Sacred Heart Rehab to minister a fellow dialysis patient who was facing amputation.

Greg never gave up but on March 26th his heart did. Greg's determination and love live in each of us, this quiet man who said so little but said and did so much. I know that I have become a much better person for having known him. I was truly blessed and proud to have been his wife for 18 years. I know the Lord eagerly awaited his coming home last Monday. I can only imagine...   

May he rest in peace. Amen. 

© 2019 Jelacic Funeral Home. All Rights Reserved. Funeral Home website by CFS